After April 15, cancellation of an application
must be made by telephone call to SHP so that the space can be filled as
expeditiously as possible. A follow-up letter is required. An additional 10%
penalty will be added if notification of cancellations is made through the
mail rather than by phone call. Refunds will not be made before the appropriate
trip departure date.
- Cancellation penalties for canceled application areas follows: For all cancellations, SHP will retain the $50 non-refundable registration fee plus
- $50 if cancellation is made before April 1
- 20% of the basic trip cost if cancellation is made between and including April 1 and May 15.
- 40% of the basic trip cost if cancellation is made between and including May 16 and June 15.
- 50% of the basic trip cost if cancellation is made between and including June 16 and the first day of the trip.
- If cancellation is due to verifiable illness (a note from the physician is necessary for verification), a credit for 50% of the above penalties will be applied to a future trip for the individual involved or for a family member. This credit will remain in effect for no longer than 2 years after the initial cancellation and would not be included in any refund calculation in a subsequent cancellation.
- If the cancellation is made due to a perception by the parent/guardian of threats from terrorism, cancellation penalties stated in paragraph 3A will apply.
- The cost of equipment previously mailed to the applicant will be deducted from any refund or future credit. The amount to be deducted will be the wholesale cost plus 40%. Full credit will be given if mailed equipment is returned to SHP in unused condition.
- The cost of any cancellation penalties from other
agencies (i.e. transportation companies) and the costs of any credit card
transaction fees will also be deducted from any refund.
- If a second cancellation takes place, no credit will
be allowed towards the applicable penalties listed in A above. Credits from the
earlier cancellation cannot be used to offset penalties from the second
- It is understood that a parent/guardian or other responsible adult who makes any kind of reservation for a trip (including a credit card reservation by phone) is familiar with the contents of this brochure and agrees to accept the financial and other terms and conditions in this booklet.